This guide shows you how to fix Kodi 17 not working. Here are the three most common causes we show you how to fix:
- Solution #1: Fix Kodi 17 by (re-)installing Kodi 17.1
- or Solution #2: Re-install Kodi 17 Addons
- and Solution #3: Unblock Kodi streams with a VPN
In most cases, you simply just haven’t updated your FireStick or other Kodi-enabled device to Kodi 17.1, which is now mandatory to enjoy most TV Addons.
Already updated Kodi to 17.1 and Kodi still not working?
If you already updated to Kodi 17.1, then keep reading to troubleshoot other causes of Kodi 17 not working. Keep in mind Kodi 17.1 is totally different from Kodi 17.0 because 17.1 has HTTPS capabilities, which most Kodi addons now require (for your security!).
Kodi 17 Not Working: Solution #1
#1) Fix Kodi 17 Not Working by Installing Kodi 17.1
The steps below show you how to upgrade Kodi 16 Jarvis or Kodi 17.0 Krypton to Kodi 17.1 Krypton.
This will re-enable TV Addon playback if Kodi stopped working for you:
How to Install / Upgrade to Kodi 17.1 on FireStick
- Go to the Firestick home screen
- Then go to Search
- Now enter “Downloader”
- Select “Downloader” in the search results
- Then choose “Install”
- After Downloader installs, launch the app
- Once the app is launched, enter “https://bit.ly/kodi171arm” into the Downloader app
- Then press “Download”
- Wait for the Downloader app to download the Kodi 17.1 APK file (or “installer” file)
- If the Downloader doesn’t launch the Kodi file automatically, then select “Open” to start the Kodi installer
- Then wait for Kodi to install.
- Once it’s done, select “Open” / Launch App
- Kodi will now launch
- Now install TV Addons and unblock & protect your Kodi streams
Kodi 17 Stopped Working: Solution #2
#2) Fix Kodi Krypton by (Re-)Installing TV Addons
With the Indigo Wizard (or “Indigo tool”), we install TV Addons using the AddOn Installer or Config Wizard found within Indigo.
Here’s how to install Kodi addons with Kodi 17.1 Indigo:
How to Install TV Addons with Indigo Wizard
- Enable apps from unknown sources from within Kodi.
- From the Kodi home screen, go to SYSTEM (which is the “gear” icon)
- Then go to System Settings
- Now select File Manager
- Then enter “http://fusion.tvaddons.ag” as the file path (“source”)
- Select OK
- Then select the box below the words “Enter a name for this media source”
- Enter “KFire TV Addons” or any other name you’d like
- Select OK once more, and then once more to finish adding the source
- Return to the Kodi home screen, then go to AddOns
- Now select the Package icon from the top left corner
- Then choose “Install From Zip File”
- Select the newly-added source, “KFire TV Addons” (or other name)
- Then choose the “plugin.program.indigo.x.y.z.zip” file (where x.y.z is the latest version of Indigo Wizard)
- Give Indigo a minute to install
- Then re-boot Kodi. Upon rebooting Kodi, select Indigo from the main Kodi menu.
- Once Indigo is launched select “AddOn Installer” to install addons one-by-one. Or select Config Wizard to install TV Addons all-at-once.
- Then unblock and secure your Kodi streams with our Kodi VPN tutorial guide (below).
Kodi 17 Broken: Solution #3
#3) Fix Kodi 16 or 17 by Unblocking Kodi Addons with a VPN
There’s a good possibility your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is blocking Kodi streams. Protect against this by using our Kodi VPN setup video and step-by-step instructions below:
How to Unblock Kodi Streams
The steps below and tutorial video show you how to unblock Kodi streams and protect your data at the same time:
- Sign up for the no-logging VPN we recommend (Take 60% off with our exclusive Coupon Code FIRETV25).
- Then get this VPN-enabled router from Amazon ($28)
- Set up the VPN on the router using the Kodi VPN tutorial video below:
The most common causes of Kodi 17 FireStick not working (above) cover 90% of cases. If the XBMC / Kodi fixes above don’t work for you, then check out our other guides at the KFireTV site or KFire TV News YouTube channel.