About this article: This guide was updated in 2017.
Which Versions of Windows Does Kodi Work With? Windows 7? Windows 8? Windows 10?
- Windows 7 – Installing Kodi on Windows 7 PCs works great
- Windows 8 – Installing Kodi on Windows 8 PCs works great
- Windows 10 – Installing Kodi on Windows 10 PCs works great
- You can install Kodi on PC with even older versions of Windows like Windows XP and Vista (using outdated software, Kodi’s former self, known as XBMC)
To install Kodi on PC is simply a matter of downloading the installer, launching it, finishing the installation and launching Kodi.
Once Kodi is installed, we recommend that you install some TVAddons to stream content directly to your PC.
Pros of Installing Kodi on your PC
- Since PCshave more power than most other device types which can streaming media via Kodi, you will probably have the best Kodi experience using Kodi for PC (as opposed to Kodi for Firestickor Raspberry Pi, for instance). For example, most desktop computer built within the last year or two most likely have at least a dual-core processor, which beats the computing power of devices like the Firestick and Roku stick.
Cons of Installing Kodi on your PC
- If your PC is not optimized or is slow/old, your streaming is likely to experience jitters, pixelation, or other playback issues
How to Install Kodi on PC:
1. Download Kodi
You can download Kodi on PC by going to http://kodi.tv/download in your browser. Once you’re there, click Installer next to “Windows” (direct download: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/win32/kodi-16.1-Jarvis.exe), like in the screenshot provided here.
After clicking the Installer download link, the kodi .exe file should begin downloading. Depending on your connection speed (do a speed test if you’re curious), it may take awhile. But most connections should be able to download Kodi in less than a minute.
2. Launch the Installer
Launch the Kodi installer by clicking on the downloaded file in your browser.
The Kodi installer screen should now appear.
3. Complete the Installation
After the Kodi installer screen appears, follow the prompts to perform the installation.
4. Launch Kodi
When the installation is complete, launch Kodi. Kodi will be located in your Start menu (search for Kodi in the start menu).
(5. Install TVAddons – optional, but highly recommended)
Use our guide to install TVAddons in your Kodi PC install.
After Installing Kodi on PC:
After Kodi is installed, we suggest you do the following to optimize Kodi, so it can play your media at its fullest potential:
- Install TVAddons
- Install Emulators and download games
- You can play tons of emulators, so check some out and play some classic games on your PC.
- Connect a controller for playing games
- Optimize your computer with CCleaner (free)
- Defragmenting your hard drive (for NON-SSD hard drives only) with optimization software like Norton Utilities will improve your computer’s performance
- Check your computer for software issues
- Check your computer for hardware issues
- Make sure your computer’s hardware is running smoothly.
- Scan your computer for viruses and other security risks
- Make sure your computer stays cool
- Use a mini fan to blow heat away from your PC
- Set up Network Attached Storage to serve your movies to any device on your network!
What Can I Do With My Kodi PC?
- Stream your ass off by installing the best TVAddons
- Use any other addons made possible by Kodi (yes – Kodi has many non–streaming apps available, too!)
- Install a wireless keyboard/ mouse / media remote to use your PC in your home theater!
- THIS is an amazing way to use a Kodi PC: Put your Kodi PC somewhere out-of-sight, but within cable range of your entertainment center. Hook your Kodi PC up to your TVso you’re using your TV as your “monitor“, then sit back on your nice comfy couch and operate Kodi using the media remote you installed! No more mouse & keyboard – just an intuitive, easy-to-use media center.
- Use Kodi to play Paid media services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.
Good luck! Have questions? Ask us in the comments below!
Online privacy quiz (5 points, from KFireTV Admin)
Q: True or False - Your IP Address is: 22.214.171.124
A: Not sure? Find out here. If you didn't know the answer, then your online identity is at risk - and you should immediately protect yourself with a Secure VPN. This will also unblock Kodi add-ons and International TV channels, enable anonymous surfing, automate data encryption, and prevent third-party data snooping.
P.S. Take 60% off (for KFireTV visitors only).