In my search for inexpensive-yet-powerful Android TV Boxes that run Kodi, the RK3229 Edal has risen to the top of my list. It’s at the top because it’s inexpensive, received many great reviews on Amazon, and fully supports Kodi. Continue reading to see how to install Kodi on RK3229 Edal and where to get one:
RK3229 Edal Review
- The RK3229 Edal Dolamee (New Version for 2017) is a nice little Android TV Box that supports Kodi. There are several versions or “makers” of the Edal unit, but we strongly recommend you get the one made by “DOLAMEE” from Amazon for $45.99 because many people have tried this specific unit and gave it great reviews.
- RK3229 can be bought from Amazon for $45.99 with free shipping
- This Android TV Box has 2 USB ports! This is perfect for Emulators because you can buy two inexpensive USB gamepads from Amazon for around $10 each and plug those suckers into your TV box to enjoy classic SNES and N64 games.
- Installing Kodi on the RK3229 Edal is easy, since the unit has a full-fledged version of Android OS installed on it. To install Kodi on this TV box should be a simple matter of launching Google Play Store – then search for Kodi, press INSTALL, then OPEN. After installing Kodi, install TV Addons!
- The RK3229 (“Dolamee”) sports a Rockchip RK3229 Quad-core Cortex A7 1.5GHz 32bit CPU
- 5-Core GPU (Penta-core Graphics processor)
- For memory, the Edal comes with 1GB of DDR3 RAM, 8GB of eMMC ROM
- Has 2 USB 2.0 ports. USB hard drive supported and USB thumb drive supported
- Also has a SD/SDHC/MMC Card reader!
- Edal Supports the latest video decoding (HEVC H.265 decoding), VP9 decoding, and 4K*2K Super HD video
- The Operating System on the RK3229 is Android 5.1 (Lollipop)
- For Wifi, Edal has IEEE 802.11b/g/n, 2.4Ghz wireless capabilites
- This Android TV Box has Bluetooth V4.0! So, wired/wireless mouse/ keyboard are recognized automatically
Installing Kodi on the RK3229 Edal Android TV Box is easy – just use the Google Play Store that’s in the TV Box’s home screen. In the Google Play Store, just search for “Kodi”. Then select INSTALL from the Kodi app listing in the Play Store. Alternatively, you can sideload the Kodi APK file to your Android TV Box using an Android phone.
If you want to run Linux on this Android TV Box, you’re better off with a different type of Android TV Box – or don’t use an Android-based device to run straight-up Linux.
ARM Linux will run on a RK3229, but source say the Armlogic S905 is better for that. See this link to install Linux on RK3229, which also works on any other “Rockchip” device like the Edal Dolamee.
RK3229 vs S805
- The S805 is a comparable Kodi box, but also supports Linux very well. This is important for techies who want to experiment with the device, but is not important for people who simply want to run Kodi on their Android TV Box.
The new RK3229 Edal Dolamee is a great entry-level streaming device. It’s sure to out-perform the Amazon Fire Stick, has 2 USB ports (perfect for Game Controllers or USB thumb drives / external hard drive), and has good reviews on Amazon.