This articles shows you which devices have Alexa voice control, as well as the different versions of this amazing voice control system you’ll find on the different Amazon devices. To get the full version of Amazon’s voice control app (the version that can control Smart light bulbs and call for an Uber), you need an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot. Continue reading to get the whole scoop:
- The Echo Dot ($49 on Amazon) is the most inexpensive way to get the “real deal”. Echo Dot has the full (“real”) version of Alexa, is a smaller version of the Amazon Echo, and is more inexpensive than the Amazon Echo.
- Amazon Echo is a larger version of the Echo Dot that has a larger speaker, but is more expensive (around $180 on Amazon). Amazon Echo has the full version of Alexa built-in.
- FireStick with Voice Remote (link) and Fire TV with Voice Remote do not have the full version of Alexa. Instead, these devices have a basic (or “slimmed-down”) version of Alexa which is able to perform standard information-retrieval requests (like “Alexa, what time is it?”) and search for movies & TV shows. But – be aware that Alexa for FireStick / Fire TV is not able to control Hue lights or other voice commands that are available only in the full version of Alexa (which is found on Echo and Echo Dot).
- Amazon Fire Tablets have a version of Alexa installed which is similar in functionality to the Fire TV version of Alexa. You can get an Amazon Fire Tablet for $49 on Amazon.
What is This?
Amazon’s voice-control system is one that can be easily added to your home by getting an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot. The adding of Skills makes the system extremely expandable, similar to the “there’s an app for that” motto adopted by Apple.
- With Echo and Echo Dot, you can play voice games, set timers, check the weather, check on Amazon shipments, and hundreds or thousands of other great Echo skills.
- Using Amazon’s voice control system, you can set up Philips Hue Lights to be controlled with your voice.
See our other article on to see what Amazon Echo’s voice system can and can’t do.
What is the Alexa App?
Read our “What is the Alexa App?” article to read more about the mobile app for Android & iOS.
Get an Amazon Echo
Which Music Services Work on Echo Dot?
- Pandora works beautifully well on Echo and Echo Dot
- Spotify is a great music player that takes voice commands well on the Echo and Echo Dot
- iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and Amazon Music are also officially supported on Echo devices (including the Echo Dot).
- See our full article on Echo Dot Music services & Echo Voice Commands.
Where to Get Echo Dot
- Amazon ($49)
- Best Buy ($49)
- eBay ($49)
Echo Dot 1st Generation vs 2nd Generation
The Echo Dot has a first generation and a second generation version. The differences between the two models are slight. Check out the 2nd Generation Echo Dot here. The 1st Generation Echo Dot is no longer available for purchase on Amazon, although may still be purchased elsewhere.
This home automation / voice control system will be taking over American homes this year. So stay tuned for more Echo Dot news and tutorials, as well as how to get YouTube and Google to play with Echo Dot nicely.
Whatever questions you have – ask on the KFire YouTube channel!