VR Headset Price Comparison: PS VR vs Oculus Rift vs HTC Vive
This is a current list of every major VR Headset available for purchase. Fan favorites are the PS VR Head set, Oculus Rift, and HTC Vive, which will satisfy the needs of serious (“hardcore”) gamers. For casual gamers, the Samsung Gear VR or Google Daydream View are sure to satisfy most basic VR users’ needs: 360-degree photos, Virtual landscapes, and simple games.
- Playstation VR (aka “PS VR“) is a headset by Sony that uses the power of their Playstation 4 console. Wanna see what shooting Zombies is like in Virtual Reality? Check out our PS VR Zombies Gameplay video.
- Oculus Rift is the much-anticipated high-performing Virtual Reality headset that millions of gamers are excited about.
- HTC Vive is seen as the main competitor for Oculus Rift, since both HTC Vive and Oculus Rift are powered by full-size desktop PCs.
Playstation VR vs. Oculus Rift vs. HTC Vive
- Playstation VR is powered by the Playstation 4 console. Because of this, expect the gaming experience to be more streamlined and more user-friendly in the Playstation VR than in other VR Headset units. This is due to the massive gaming talent and “infrastructure” Sony already has in place. The game availability for PS VR is expected to be more robust than other VR headset systems. PS VR costs roughly $900 if you don’t already have a Playstation 4, or about $600 if you do already have a Playstation 4. These prices are in effect as of November 11th, 2016.
- Oculus Rift is the Goliath of Virtual Reality headsets. Oculus Rift started years ago as a crowdfunded project, then grew into the VR headset with the highest hopes and expectations. Expect the Oculus Rift to blow you away with its intense games. The main disadvantage of the Oculus Rift is that it requires a high-powered gaming PC to use the HTC Vive headset. Oculus Rift costs about $700 (on Newegg, Nov 14th, 2016). If you don’t have a VR-compatible gaming PC already, that’ll cost you $600 or more.
- HTC Vive is the HTC phone company’s answer to the Oculus Rift. Similar to the Oculus Rift, the HTC Vive requires that you have a nice gaming PC to run the HTC Vive headset. The HTC Vive costs $800, with free shipping if purchased directly from HTC (price as of Nov 14, 2016). Like the Oculus Rift, you’ll need a VR-compatible PC. VR compatible PCs cost at least $600.
These are the accessories needed to run each VR system:
- For Playstation VR, you’ll need a Playstation 4 console, PS VR headset, PS VR Processing Unit, PS VR Camera, and a PS4 controller.
- For HTC Vive, you need an HTC Vive headset, controller, and a gaming PC with a VR-compatible video card (aka “graphics card”, for noobs).
- For Oculus Rift, you will need the Oculus Rift headset, controller, and a gaming PC.
VR Accessories Prices
- Playstation 4: $300
- Playstation VR Bundle: $600 (includes every accessory you need)
- Gaming PC: $600 – $5,000
VR Gaming PCs
- Avatar VR Desktop ($1500)
You should venture into the world of Virtual Reality knowing that you’ll eventually need to or want to purchase some awesome VR Accessories. So budget for VR accessories to keep your Virtual Reality rig up-to-date.
VR Headset Cheap Alternatives
- Samsung Gear VR ($100)
If Oculus Rift is the Goliath of VR headsets, then Samsung Gear VR is David.
Open Source VR Headsets
Open-Source VR Headsets are different from their mainstream cousins, because they’re not backed by corporations with large amounts of capital. Instead, open-source VR headsets rely on crowd-based input and support.
Online privacy quiz (5 points, from KFireTV Admin)
Q: True or False - Your IP Address is: 184.108.40.206
A: Not sure? Find out here. If you didn't know the answer, then your online identity is at risk - and you should immediately protect yourself with a Secure VPN. This will also unblock Kodi add-ons and International TV channels, enable anonymous surfing, automate data encryption, and prevent third-party data snooping.
P.S. Take 60% off (for my beloved KFireTV visitors only).