How To Speed Up Windows 10 PC in 2016: From Tortoise to Haire
PC at a crawl? Feeling more like the tortoise and not the haire? Check out our Ultimate How to Speed Up Windows 10 guide to get your PC speeding toward the finish line.
In this guide we show you how to clean up your Windows with Glary Utilities, disk defrag (for non-SSD only), by replacing your HDD, clearing your browser cache (Ctrl+Shift+Del), scanning for & removing malware, removing clutter from your desktop, and other Windows 10 tips & optimization tricks.
How to Speed Up Windows 10
Use Glary Utilities to Speed Up Windows 10
There’s a multitude of PC-optimizer software packages available, but most of that software costs money! And some of it costs quite a bit of money. But then there’s good old freeware: Glary Utilities. Glary Utilities has been around for several years (I know because I’ve been using it for years to optimize all my PCs) and is trustworthy. It does have some “popup” dialog boxes that are semi-ads, but it’s not horrible. The PC optimization is worth the little bit of in-app advertising they do.
How to Install Glary Utilities
How to Use Glary Utilities
To use Glary Utilities, simply open the program and hit the “1-Click Maintenance” button.
- Honorable mention: CCleaner (short for “crap cleaner”) is another good system-clean-up application.
Use a Disk Defragmenter to Speed Up Windows 10 (only if your PC does not have a Solid State Drive [SSD]).
Mechanical hard drives can scatter files everywhere across the hard drive, resulting in long load times and a slow computer in general.
Hard Drive Wars: Mechanical vs. Solid State
There are two general types of hard drives:
Which drives should be defragmented and which hard drives shouldn’t?
- Mechanical hard drives should be de-fragmented on a regular basis to re-collect all the files your operating system has scattered across the hard drive.
- Solid state drives do not need to be de-fragmented, since the location of the files on the drive is a non-issue. Why? Since solid state drives are non-mechanical and access their data instantly, fragmenting is not an issue for solid state drives. In fact, defragmenting a solid state drive will only put more wear-and-tear on the hard drive, reducing its life span.
So only defragment mechanical hard drives!
Free Up Disk Space
Replace Old Hard Drive with a Solid State Drive to Speed Up Windows 10
As mentioned above, solid state drives are the “wave of the future” (and current). A few old-fashioned people will stand by mechanical drives, but the fact is solid state drives are much, much faster at reading data.
Revive Your Old Laptop / PC with a SSD!
I know this because I did it to an old HP laptop I had that had slowed to a crawl. I got a 64GB SSD from Amazon and swapped that bad boy out, replacing my old-fashioned hard drive. The speed increase was amazing – this old laptop was faster than all my other PCs! Note: Some laptops are difficult to replace the hard drive on, so I recommend searching YouTube for “replace hard drive <laptop name here>” to get an idea of how the hard drive replacement process goes for your laptop.
How to Replace Your Old Hard Drive With a Solid State Drive (SSD)
Replacing your hard drive with a solid state drive is usually pretty easy. The “usually” part means that some laptops have hard drives that are difficult to access, and therefore difficult to replace. So as mentioned above, research your laptop
- Find and unscrew the plate that holds your laptop’s hard drive in
- For desktop PC’s, you’ll need to open the tower and look toward the drive bays
- Remove the hard drive by gently pulling it out of the slot and out of the laptop. Some hard drives also have a screw that holds the hard drive securely in place, so if your laptop has one of these, make sure it’s unscrewed before you yank that old hard drive out.
- Put the new hard drive in by pushing it in the same place you took the old hard drive out (duh?:).
- Put the hard drive cover back on and screw the screws back in so your brand new solid state drive doesn’t fly out!
- Start your laptop back up with a bootable thumb drive to install an operating system like Windows or Linux. Install your operating system and feel the speed!
Clear your web browser’s cache
You’ve probably heard of this or even already done it at least a few times. Whether you’ve already cleared your browser’s cache in the past or not, you should still read about how often to do it and why clearing your browser’s cache matters.
Scan & remove malware
Pro Tip: Use Ninite to install the most popular software with no dialog boxes (install questions) or hassle with the free Ninite website (http://Ninite.com). I’ve used it for years on all my PCs and it’s saved me hours and hours of installing common software.
Using the methods in this how-to guide are sure to speed up Windows 10. So try them out and let us know what works and what doesn’t work for you! We’ll get this done together. Leave your questions and comments below.
Online privacy quiz (5 points, from KFireTV Admin)
Q: True or False - Your IP Address is: 188.8.131.52
A: Not sure? Find out here. If you didn't know the answer, then your online identity is at risk - and you should immediately protect yourself with a Secure VPN. This will also unblock Kodi add-ons and International TV channels, enable anonymous surfing, automate data encryption, and prevent third-party data snooping.
P.S. Take 60% off (for my beloved KFireTV visitors only).