Philips Hue Lights + ALEXA: Video Demo & Overview
This video and write-up shows a brief demonstration of Philips Hue Lights with Alexa voice control (with the Amazon Echo Dot). I replaced the three standard-socket bulbs in my ceiling fan with Philips Hue White bulbs. In addition, I set up the Philips Hue hub next to my WiFi router (plugged into it) and the Philips Hue app. Finally I used the Alexa app to Discover the Philips Hue White bulbs to enable them to be voice-controlled. Now I can say “Alexa, turn the bedroom lights off” and watch them dim from a full 100% brightness down to 0% brightness. Below is an overview of Philips Hue Bulbs, their prices, and where to get them.
Philips Hue Lights
- The Philips Hue Lights come in several shapes and color varieties, but the most common Philips Hue bulbs are the “standard-socket” (or “A19”) bulbs that put out either white light or “ambient light” – which is a combination of reds, greens, and blues.
- Philips Hue Color bulbs (the “ambient” bulbs) can be purchased for $40 to $50 at major online retailers like Amazon, as well as Home Depot, Best Buy.
- The Philips Hue white bulbs can be bought for $15 online and from Home Depot and Best Buy. I got mine from Best Buy – it seems to be a different “generation” than the bulbs in the Starter Pack I got, but after a few tries it seems to sync up fine with the other 2 Hue white bulbs I have from the Starter Pack.
- A Philips Hue Starter Pack (with White bulbs) is available for $70 online or at Home Depot. This is the route I took and I’m very happy with it. The Philips Hue hub performs well and the lightbulbs that came in the pack work extremely well (better than the “expansion” bulb I used to add a third bulb). I purchased my Starter Kit from Home Depot for $70 and it works great.
- Color-changing light strips are going to be a big thing, so get one early on! The Philips Hue Light Strip Plus is available for around $90 on Amazon or at Best Buy / Home Depot. These work well for lighting something from behind, such as a Smart TV with Kodi. Put the light strip behind your smart TV to give it a cool glow that’s voice-controlled with Alexa.
Philips Hue Go
The Philips Hue Go is a portable multicolor light that integrates easily with Alexa, so you can carry a color-changing light orb around your house. Stay tuned and subscribe to the KFire YouTube channel to stay up-to-date on the Philips Hue products as I review them one-by-one.
We’re just getting started with our adventure into the world of Alexa Philips Hue integration. So check out our videos as we put them up so you can stay ahead of the curve! Cheers.
Online privacy quiz (5 points, from KFireTV Admin)
Q: True or False - Your IP Address is: 188.8.131.52
A: Not sure? Find out here. If you didn't know the answer, then your online identity is at risk - and you should immediately protect yourself with a Secure VPN. This will also unblock Kodi add-ons and International TV channels, enable anonymous surfing, automate data encryption, and prevent third-party data snooping.
P.S. Take 60% off (for my beloved KFireTV visitors only).